Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year's Goals

Goals. Resolution. Same thing right? I've been seeing a lot of blog posts bashing the New Year's Resolution, and while I can't disagree with what most are saying I think it's in poor spirit to criticize anyone who uses the new year to better themselves. I personally have never been one for making a New Year's Resolution, probably because I've seen so many people fail so easily. I love setting goals, it has been something that was instilled in me from a young age. So a new year really never made a difference to me because I already had long & short term goals I was striving for. Over the past year I have been slacking, I realized the other day I really didn't have any goals I was working towards. I was working a job without a future goal in mind and I was going through the motions of life bored.  Without goals, life is a routine and as much as I like routine I also hate it! So setting goals is extremely important. When making goals there are things to keep in mind. Goals taking planning, it's not as easy as "I want to lose weight". That type of goal already sets you up for failure!! Within a large goal like weight loss, there should be small goals like losing 5lbs by the end of January. Goals need to be attainable, otherwise they are just dreams that seem unrealistic. I could go on, but that is not the intent of this post. If you want to know how to properly set a goal let me know, because yes, there is a proper way to do it!
  1. Become a fitter version of myself. Although this goal is broad like how I said not to do it, I can picture in my head exactly how I want to be. This is a long-term goal, actually a life goal. This is more than fitting into my favorite high school jeans. I want to be able to do more than 2 pull-ups, do push-ups like it's nothing, run without getting winded, be faster, stronger and leaner. I would love to get back into martial arts and compete again. Maybe even a Crossfit competition in my future?! Who is to know, but it has to start with at least 5 work-outs a week, running in the mornings and eating clean/healthy foods.
  2. Run a half marathon. For those who know me, this would be a great accomplishment, I absolutely hate running. My long-term goal is to run the Disney Glass Slipper Challenge in February 2015. 
  3. Watch a documentary at least once a week. This is a pretty simple goal. After watch Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on Hulu, a whole list of different documentaries it said I might like popped-up. That's when I realized I was really missing out on knowledge I could only get from documentaries. I find them fascinating and definitely more informative than the nightly news. I welcome suggestions!
  4. Volunteer. There is no reason not to. It wasn't that long ago I was at a meeting with my co-workers and we all had to go around and say something we were proud of. I hate that kind of thing, so of course my answer was really lame "I'm proud I have a job I enjoy" which is only half true, but I have no children to be proud of, which was the common answer by most of my co-workers. But a few of them really surprised me, their volunteer work. I felt so guilty. They work as much as I do and find time to volunteer. Why can't I?! Not sure where I want to volunteer my time or if I could even settle on just one place, but my goal is to find time at least once a week!
  5. Find my path in life. I don't know if I will be able to accomplish this goal by the end of 2014, but I hope to get closer than I am now. I had set so many goals right out of high school about what I wanted to do with my life, that when none of them happened I lost my fire. It wasn't my fault really. I believe destiny pushed me in a different direction, but I'm still trying to figure out what direction that is. According to my high school goals I would be going back to school right now, instead I have absolutely no desire to. I feel more lost than I was in high school. What do I do with my life? That is what I hope to figure out...
  6. Be more social. I love being around my friends, but I can be the biggest homebody. In 2014 I want to reach out to my friends more and make new ones. "No new friends" is the biggest joke (sorry Drake I still love you). 
  7. Become a better me. Here's another broad one, but this one is important to me. In college I surrounded myself with people who were negative, judgmental and mean. Spending such time with people wears on you, and eventually I started seeing changes in the way I was acting. After distancing myself from those people I felt free, but I feel I have a long way to go to prove to myself I'm not like those people. I'm starting simple, but it really is a mind set to always be positive, kind and loving. We instantly judge people, most times without trying. So there is where I'm starting. When I see the people around me I will complement them in my head instead of tearing them down. We do this all the time, especially as women "That girl looks like a bitch, Wow she is fat." We've all done it, admit it. Instead before you can even judge someone, make a compliment in her head "She looks nice, I love her hair". Than appreciate the things around you. Be amazed by the clouds in the sky. The warmth of the sun. The sung of the birds. Life is beautiful, we have to appreciate it.Think positive and you will be positive.
Thank you for reading this post. It's been a while since I've made goals for myself and even longer since I've had people read them. I did this however to keep myself accountable and hopefully you all will motivate me to do so! Post your goals for the new year below. I would love to know how you intent to better yourself in the new year!!
 


Image Map